Covid-19 Prepping thread

The Omikron variant is probably is a result of mutation and selection from evolutionary pressure by the vaccinations together with having enough breeding ground among unvaccinated people. The interesting thing is that it's rather weak, so if we keep on fighting dangerous variants, we might be successful with providing the ground for rather variants that are "just" like the flu.
It's possible, and I think at this point that is the most realistic outcome. Remember, the seasonal flu that we've all had to put up with our whole lives is more or less just a descendant of the 1918 Spanish flu, which was still by far way more devastating than Covid. Killed an estimated 50 million people in two or three years, and that was back when the global population was a little under two billion.

But not doing anything is certainly not the right conclusion.
Well it depends. I'm sure you've heard that old adage about the cure being worse than the disease. You just have to be careful that what you're doing isn't going to be worse than doing nothing.

The damage from vaccinations is much less than from Covid and I'm pretty sure that the amount of deaths and harm would be far greater without vaccinations than the harm from the vaccinations. There is much stupidity among people, but I agree that forced vaccinations would cause further harm. It's basically a denial of the human right of being in full command of one's body which would only be acceptable if other rights are violated to a greater extent without vaccinations. I don't think this is the case, unlike the mandatory smallpox vaccinations in the sixties and seventies which led to one of the greatest achievements in medicine of all time, the eradication of a scourge of mankind. It worked because the smallpox virus was much less subject to mutations. I think I got my smallpox shots when I was 9 months old.

It's basically a denial of the human right of being in full command of one's body which would only be acceptable if other rights are violated to a greater extent without vaccinations.
That's a big part of it, yeah, but it's also just one aspect. I happen to personally know a few people who had a negative reaction to the vaccine and/or boosters, including myself (though minor in my case). At least one was strong enough that it's in their best interest not to get another booster. Also know someone who was flatly denied prescribed medication by multiple pharmacies because of the "misinformation" hysteria surrounding it even though it was to treat an illness that had nothing whatsoever to do with covid. And that's just on the personal level. Mandates get even more shady when you start to consider things like financial or political motivations that aren't necessarily in the best interest of the rest of society.

Reactions: Talga Vasternich
I also happen to know a few people who had adverse reactions to the vaccin but the percentage of people that have problems with the vaccin is insignificant compared to how many people it helped.

Reactions: Leopold Stotch
It slows down the spread and decreases the viral load produced by an infected person. Reducing chances for a mutation.

Are you antivax?
The simple answer is no. Vaccines are some of medical science’s greatest achievements.
The more complex answer is no, but…
The shots we are talking about are not vaccines (as per the pre-September 2021 definition) as they do not confer immunity. I tend to fall into the belief that if you need to change the definition of something to make it work, it doesn't work all that well.
Glurin and krischan covered some of the resulting forced mutation due to incomplete immunity, so I won’t go over that ground again.
As far as linking studies, here ya go. https://academic.oup.com/ofid/article/9/5/ofac135/6550312
But not doing anything is certainly not the right conclusion.
My whole life, I was told by doctors that there's nothing that can be done for a viral infection except for rest, fluids, and time. It's neat how this all changed in 2020.
I agree that incarceration for unvaccinated people is not acceptable, but in case a really dangerous variant comes up, I have no problem with mandatory vaccinations and fines who refuse or evade them.
If we go down this road, we can then fine people for knowingly reckless behaviors that endanger the health of others. And we can fine people for knowingly reckless behaviors that endanger themselves while we’re at it.

I have no tolerance for infected people who refuse to stay away from others, in particular from people who are at a high risk of serious harm. People are responsible for their actions or lack thereof. They have to provide a compensation for the damage they cause and it might also need a proper punishment by the law.
As this virus can be transmitted by fully "vaccinated" people, if it can be traced back to one of them would they have to provide compensation for passing it along?

Last edited:
Reactions: Glurin
Taiga wrote: "My whole life, I was told by doctors that there's nothing that can be done for a viral infection except for rest, fluids, and time. It's neat how this all changed in 2020."

Yes, it's called "progress." Have you heard of it before? Here's a fun exercise - can you think of anything else new that has come along in your lifetime, or were you born with smart phones, widespread internet, self-driving cars, virtual reality, widespread lasik surgery, etc?

Taige wrote: "If we go down this road, we can then fine people for knowingly reckless behaviors that endanger the health of others. And we can fine people for knowingly reckless behaviors that endanger themselves while we’re at it."

I guess you must live where there are no drunk driving laws, or reckless endangerment, or speeding laws, or negligent homicide laws, or environmental or consumer protection laws, or any other measures to protect the general public. Frankly, it sounds like a shithole.

Last edited:
Yes, it's called "progress." Have you heard of it before? Here's a fun exercise - can you think of anything else new that has come along in your lifetime, or were you born with smart phones, widespread internet, self-driving cars, virtual reality, widespread lasik surgery, etc?
I’m all for progress. I also understand that there is a learning curve, and the law of unintended consequences applies. Of all the examples you gave, which ones were introduced without any issues that caused harm, either directly or indirectly?

I find it amusing that people are willing to risk not only their own well-being, but demand others risk their well-being on a brand-new technology. Well... technically, this technology is not new as the original patent for MRNA technology was issued a decade ago as gene therapy to treat cancer. This is simply the first time it has been used on healthy people to potentially combat a virus. I guess we just need to “normalize” Sudden Adult Death Syndrome, Myocarditis, and whatever other reactions people have.

I also find it amusing that there has been such a single-minded approach to public health in the midst of this global pandemic. I get phone calls and text messages on a weekly basis reminding me to get vaccinated and boosted, regardless of whether or not I have been. There are TV ads, radio ads, internet ads and popups, billboards, and celebrity endorsements for getting these shots and boosters while ignoring the treatment and prevention of pre-existing conditions such as diabetes and obesity that overwhelmingly lead to worse outcomes for those infected. Where is the same fervor to educate people on the usefulness of exercise, good diet, Vitamin D, Selenium, Magnesium, Zinc, etc. in boosting your immune system? Simple answer… it doesn’t exist because there’s no profit in that and profits with the resulting political donations via lobbyists, and let's not forget grift, will not be put at risk.
I guess you must live where there are no drunk driving laws, or reckless endangerment, or speeding laws, or negligent homicide laws, or environmental or consumer protection laws, or any other measures to protect the general public. Frankly, it sounds like a shithole.
I live in a place where laws are being passed at a record rate to criminalize anything, regardless of outcome, to pacify extremists on both ends of the spectrum.

However… Society must be protected at all costs, regardless of outcome, right?

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants.

I’m all for progress. I also understand that there is a learning curve, and the law of unintended consequences applies. Of all the examples you gave, which ones were introduced without any issues that caused harm, either directly or indirectly?

I find it amusing that people are willing to risk not only their own well-being, but demand others risk their well-being on a brand-new technology.
We are risking our own well-being all the time, like by going out, crossing the street, getting a vaccination or catching a severe case of Covid because of not being vaccinated. Even though a vaccination doesn't eliminate the chance of catching it, the chance is much lower and the chance for a severe Covid affliction is lower as well. These risks outweigh the risks of a vaccination by far, like with many other vaccinations. Covid is not as terrible as e.g. smallpox, so I reject mandatory Covid vaccinations.

I agree that people are free to weigh their risks in a nonrational, unreasonable or even silly manner and I guess I'm not always fully rational as well when making decisions, like when being at a party and deciding whether or not I should have another beer. I myself am not demanding a vaccination for everybody, but I strongly recommend a vaccination. If people ignore my reasoning, then fine, not my business.
I also find it amusing that there has been such a single-minded approach to public health in the midst of this global pandemic. I get phone calls and text messages on a weekly basis reminding me to get vaccinated and boosted, regardless of whether or not I have been. There are TV ads, radio ads, internet ads and popups, billboards, and celebrity endorsements for getting these shots and boosters while ignoring the treatment and prevention of pre-existing conditions such as diabetes and obesity that overwhelmingly lead to worse outcomes for those infected.
That would probably go on my nerves as well.

Where is the same fervor to educate people on the usefulness of exercise, good diet, Vitamin D, Selenium, Magnesium, Zinc, etc. in boosting your immune system? Simple answer… it doesn’t exist because there’s no profit in that and profits with the resulting political donations via lobbyists, and let's not forget grift, will not be put at risk.
I fully agree to that.
I live in a place where laws are being passed at a record rate to criminalize anything, regardless of outcome, to pacify extremists on both ends of the spectrum.

However… Society must be protected at all costs, regardless of outcome, right?

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants.
If you lived in a tyranny, the tyrants would probably abuse the pandemic in order to promote their sinister goals or to please their flawed egos. I have the suspicion that it is like that in China, but in the US it's probably more about money than about suppression.

Ladies and gentlemen. . . We won?

I myself had covid in the beginning of july I've had a fever for 11 days and I'm still not fully 100% ok.
The day to day activities are no problem but when I do anything above that, like sport (even bedsport) I get winded far faster than before.
The doctor said and I'm inlcined to believe him that if I didn't have the vaccin and boosters I would have been worse of then I was.

• Sad
Reactions: Leopold Stotch
Did you lose your sense of taste at all? I know someone that did. Had to go through months of flavorless mush.

No, I kept my taste and smell but I coughed up big balls of green snot, had a constant headache and sore muscles that cramped on occasion, a few days of violent diarrhea and tired all the time.

I had my first Covid test two weeks ago (negative). I was visiting friends who I haven't seen for two years and one of them is in a Corona risk group. Shoving that stick up my nose was pretty uncomfortable, but I'm probably just a wimp from the countryside who doesn't have to worry that much about an infection, so there wasn't a reason to make a test earlier.

I had my first Covid test two weeks ago (negative). I was visiting friends who I haven't seen for two years and one of them is in a Corona risk group. Shoving that stick up my nose was pretty uncomfortable, but I'm probably just a wimp from the countryside who doesn't have to worry that much about an infection, so there wasn't a reason to make a test earlier.

Oh no, it's uncomfortable as ****. I took a test back this past winter because I had fallen really ill and took a swab test. It was painful for me but that also could have been my nose being swollen from mucus and inflammation. (I tested negative that time. Think it was a really bad cold)

That stick up your nose is a pain in the nose, I've been tested five times so far and it is a pain every time.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium