Loot boxes are gambling debate continues in the UK

Rush

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 12, 2020
There's been a discussion about loot boxes being considered as gambling in the UK for the past few years and an article on The Guardian stating that the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport is now looking for evidence to support that position. Although items collected form loot boxes have no value, they do when traded on third-party platforms.

Lootboxes are already classed as gambling in countries such as Belgium and I bet there are quite a few horror stories of parents finding their kids have spent money on loot boxes unbeknown to them. Developers are always looking at ways to trigger reactions in players through visuals and audio cues and I'm sure that goes for loot boxes too. Let's face it, lots of gamers are not keen on loot box mechanics so if they were to be banned it could change the way developers approach development. I would love to see them gone.

Reactions: PCGeek
I understand why they are there but I have seen so many games be ruined by them. Locking content away etc. If they became legal for 18+ only then that fixes the gambling problem but there is no way to check that in reality. So best they just went.

Hey hun? I'm feeling lucky. I want to play a game. Where did you hide the credit card?

I know my brother had to claw back money his kids used on his credit card on the Xbox. He was not pleased and I bet that happens all the time.