300 Million being pissed away on Star Citizen

Rush

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 12, 2020
This evening I spotted that Star Citizen has now raised more than 300 million to create what is still being touted as a space epic. As a backer who gave up on the project a long time ago after sub-standard releases time and time again, missing their own deadlines, axing features, or delaying their release, this surely has to come to some sort of head?

Selling jpg ships was bad enough and then the ridiculous ship pricings to boot. Then there's the latest roadmap. I thought I would take a look in and see what's going on. I have been avoiding following it because it seemed a pointless exercise. CIG will do what they want with the raised funds and do it at their own pace. The comments on Spectrum are not pleasant reading. It seems I am not the only one that is more than disappointed with progress. It's still a complete shit-show.

While many backers are now in so deep they have to stick with it, this surely has to come to a head? I've been saying that for years but we are heading into the second half of 2020 and the single-player campaign Squadron 42 doesn't look like making their own schedule of Q3 after the roadmap was shut down. It's a sad state of affairs.

I've watched many games be developed over 25 years as an ex-game journalist, visited lots of studios in that time, including Chris Robert's brother's Manchester Studio when they were working on StarLancer, but I have never seen anything quite like this. It's the epitome of feature-creep and over-promising backed by what appears to be dubious methods to attract more funding from backers. If funding had been happening on any other platform other than their own it would surely have been shut down by now.

Money has obviously been pissed away by CIG, this half-baked title has received more funding that GTA V ($265m) which was actually a game that shipped. The numbers are astounding when you consider what has actually been shown to backers and what has been passed off as a playable "game".

CIG is either going to get something sub-standard out the door that will frustrate and anger all backers or will vanish without a trace. At least if they managed to get Squadron 42 done that may save some face and that's probably what they are counting on now to buy more time and raise more money. It's all rather embarrassing for the games industry.

Last edited:
I had high hopes for this but they appear to have failed to deliver on much. I don't see this ending well. I hope they can do it for the sake of the backers who had faith in them.

300M. That's insane. I have not been following Star Citizen, but 300M!!!!