[Signup & Game Thread] Forum Game - Octopus' Garden

Sep 12, 2013
Washington D.C.
pic1052474.jpg

Description:
Octopus' Garden is a tile-laying game for 2 to 4 players. Players chose which plant and animal tiles to purchase from a central market and then decide how best to arrange them in their own garden. Careful planning is required to attract seahorses and clownfish, to protect pearl-producing oysters from the sea stars, and to avoid startling delicate feather worms.

- Boardgamegeek.com
pic1274998.jpg
pic1264934.jpg

The 3x3 board in the center is the "market", and players can purchase any row or column on their turn (no diagonals). The cost of each tile is represented by the number of white pearls on the tile (see: Garden pic). After purchasing tiles you place them in your "Garden". Careful arrangement of tiles will maximize your "beauty points". The beauty points are the numbers written on each tile. At the end of your turn you harvest pearls. Each Oyster you have in your garden will give you one pearl. When a player fills all the spaces in their garden, the game will end, with each other player being allowed one more turn. The player with the most beauty points wins!

Tile Attributes: [cost in eggs🥚, beauty points] (number of tiles) **
🦆 Duck (oyster): [🥚🥚, -1] (x16)
- produces 1 egg per turn
🦤 Dodo (oyster with harlequin shrimp): [n/a, 0] (x4)
- produces 1 egg per turn, but cannot be eaten by a snake
🌱 Leaf (seagrass): [🥚, 1] (x26)
- five adjacent leaves will attract a caterpillar​
🐛 Caterpillar (seahorse): [n/a, 5] (x5)
- free tile placed on top of 5 adjacent leaves​
🌹 Flower (anemone): [🥚🥚, 2] (x16)
- three adjacent flowers will attract a bee​
🐝 Bee (clownfish): [n/a, 5] (x5)
- free tile placed on top of 3 adjacent flowers​
🥤 Garbage (garbage): [free, -2] (x8)
- a no cost tile, but counts as negative 2 beauty points​
🐢 Turtle (feather worm): [🥚🥚, 2 or 0] (x12)
- a turtle is worth 2 beauty points, but will "hide" when adjacent to a snake, giving 0 beauty points​
🐍 Snake (sea star): [🥚🥚🥚, 5] (x8)
- moves 1 space per turn towards ducks (or dodo), can climb over any other tile except cactus, and will eat the duck (not the dodo) once it reaches them​
🌵 Cactus (coral): [🥚, 1] (x20)
- impassable to snakes​
⛲ Fountain (relic): [🥚🥚🥚, 1 / 3 / 5] (x8)
- a single fountain is worth 1 beauty point, two fountains are worth 3 each, and three or more fountains 5 points each

** I am somewhat limited by the available animal emojis on our forums, so I've adapted them to suit the game. As you can see, we don't have much of an Octopus' Garden anymore. It's more of a Zoo/Park, but all the values and attributes are identical to the original game.

Start:
Every player starts with 2 ducks and a dodo, which they immediately place in their garden. Each player also starts with 5 eggs. The market is then randomly filled with 9 tiles, and play begins.

Turn Sequence:
i. - Buy & Plant: Purchase tiles from the market (you can simply skip to step ii if you don't have enough money or do not wish to purchase) and lay them in your garden
ii - Move snakes: snakes take the shortest path towards the nearest duck, but must move around cactus (if there are no ducks remaining a snake will move towards the dodo)
iii - Harvest eggs: You get 1 egg 🥚 from all remaining ducks/dodo.

Signup: (4-players)
Code:

Last edited:
I think I'm going to skip this, work has gotten busy.

Reactions: D2DC
This seems pretty interesting, but I don't have the spare time. :(
I think I'm going to skip this, work has gotten busy.
I picked this game because there is literally no interaction between players. You do your thing on your turn and then just wait until it comes back around again.

Is there a video tutorial on this? I might play this but will better understand with visuals.
Oh yeah, good call. I meant to include a video link but completely forgot. This is a good brief explanation, except that they misspeak and say you need five relics to make them worth 5 points each (you only need 3 relics).

Edit: I've also added in the original game piece name next to the emoji one I am using if that helps people remember what is what.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium