News Next Dragon Age will be single-player apparently - EA changes direction

Rush

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 12, 2020
It looks like EA has pivoted away from any multiplayer components for the next Dragon Age according to Bloomberg. The failure of Anthem and the better-than-expected sales of Jedi: Fallen Order seems to have changed their minds over at EA.

This move to a single player RPG is good news for fans of the series who were not exactly over the moon a the thought of multiplayer.

Not sure how to take this to be honest. I'm a fan of the Dragon Age series and would really like to see another one. But the shift in focus is most certainly not motivated by the desire to create a good sequel. EA cares about only one thing. Money. There's a lot of promising titles under their banner that went to waste because the first thing the execs asked is how to monetize the snot out of it.

There's also the fact that Bioware has reached the end of life stage in their Faustian bargain with EA and all indications are that they will soon join the pile of empty husks that EA has left in it's soul sucking wake. I guess we just have to wait and see if they can pull off one last hurrah.

I am guessing they calculated they would sell more if it was single player hence the shift.

Lets not forget that Dragon Age: Origins was rather infamous for it's not-so-subtle inclusion of DLC advertisement in NPC quest dialogue.

For those who may not know the reference, imagine going through the entire NPC dialogue tree of accepting the quest, but right at the very end he says "Great. Thanks for accepting. Now all you have to do is give me your credit card number so you can purchase this DLC. Then download and install it and we can begin your quest."

Reactions: Rush