News MMO Defiance Closing Down for Good

Rush

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 12, 2020
Remember Defiance? I do, it had one of the most annoying inventory management systems I have had the displeasure of experiencing in games. Well, Trion's MMO, which was originally a tie-in with the Sci-fi TV show of the same name, is closing for good. Not sure how it actually lasted so long. MMOs really are falling out of favour these days.

To our loyal Defiance and Defiance 2050 Communities,​
Since the release of Defiance 8 years ago, followed by the release of Defiance 2050 3 years ago, we have shared countless gaming memories. Today we come to you with hearts heavy with sadness as we announce that Defiance and Defiance 2050 will officially cease all operations on April 29, 2021.​
This decision was not an easy one to make. We concluded that both games could no longer sustain themselves.​
While we are discontinuing the games service, we will never forget the incredible journey we embarked on together. It is never easy to announce the shutdown of any game, knowing how much time and effort we have all put into making Defiance and Defiance 2050 enjoyable for many years.​
As of today, all cash purchases will be disabled. Bits already purchased before February 24, 2021 will still be usable until the end of service.​
Players may continue to play in Defiance and Defiance 2050 and enjoy all game features until April 29, 2021.​

Source

That was still a thing? Last I heard that one had flopped hard right out of the gate and never managed to pull off any kind of recovery. Did enjoy the show though. I know the critics weren't particularly fond of it, but professional critics tend to be really out of touch at best anyway.

Apparently, they rebooted a few years back. It really was a pile of crap when it launched. I had to review the damn thing which is many hours I will never get back sadly. The show was better than the game that's for sure.

In all fairness, most new MMOs these days are pretty crappy at launch. The real test comes later on after the developers, well, finish developing the base game, to put it bluntly. Been that way for years now. I guess in a way you could say that MMOs were the pioneers of the early access phenomenon we're seeing with a lot of games lately. Some can pull it off with great success. Most just sink.

Defiance sunk. I'm just surprised it was still around until now.